Saturday, January 21, 2006

Finished objects

Finally, some finished objects! I haven’t been knitting much; I usually enter a slump after the holidays and use the time I don’t feel like knitting to organize the stash, plan some future projects, and update all my notes from the previous year’s projects. I don’t worry that the urge to actually knit will never return; it always does.

Here’s a little hat I made the other day. The pattern is from Vogue Knitting’s Caps & Hats Two. It’s very succinctly called “Striped Hat,” and it worked up very quickly. I chose not to add the bobbles at the corners since I had already spent way too much time trying to decipher the finishing instructions—it just wasn’t computing to me. Finally, I figured out how to achieve the look, though the instructions never did make sense to me.

I actually finished the Trekking XXL socks (though I haven’t yet renamed them something more catchy). These turned out very well; I like them better than anything else I’ve made from my own pattern. The yarn is so pretty, and it washes well, too, which is always something I’m nervous about.



In other knitting news, the other day I met a nice woman at the local craft store where I buy Woolease and Sugar ‘n Cream and whatnot. She had the front part of her cart full of Lion Brand Jiffy and various eyelash and other Elmo-like yarns, and she asked me a few questions about needle size and the suitability of her planned purchases for scarves. We had a nice conversation about the soothing effects of knitting, and she said, “Given how compulsive I am about knitting, I’m glad I don’t have a tendency to drink!” My sentiments exactly. However, I neglected to mention my unhealthy attachment to a certain brand of potato chips and comfort myself with the fact that I don’t have a huge stash of them within reach, like I do with yarn. Not yet, anyhow.

1 Comments:

At 11:08 AM , Blogger Knittinreed said...

I love your socks and hat. It looks like your heels are short row? That is also my preference. They turned out beautifully - love the yarn and they look like fit great!
Um, er - potato chips are health food, aren't they?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home