Sunday, November 27, 2005

Hats and more hats

I've had severe start-itis this week and wanted projects that could easily be completed in an afternoon or less, since I've also been snowed under with Thanksgiving preparations and some other equally time-consuming projects. I usually get online at 5 a.m. or thereabouts (must make insomnia productive!) and find something I like, then by 7 or so start it and work on it at odd moments throughout the day. First of all, here's Tychus from Knitty.















I made this in Lion Brand Woolease, in Loden and Natural Wheat. I used a provisional cast on so I could finish it with the three-needle bind off. This worked out really well, especially since I don't enjoy sewing seams. I only made four wedges, since four made the hat large enough for everyone in this house. I hope my gauge was off, because I can't imagine the head that would fit five wedges. CP tried on the hat but wouldn't let me take his picture, so here it is on the chess table.

Currently in progress is Poor Miss Finch's Hayden hat. I am really enjoying knitting this, though the slip-stitch pattern makes for slow progress. I plan to knit about 6 1/2" and then use a different decrease that makes the hat longer and less cap-like. I used Wool of the Andes, in Winter Night (matches the mittens!), Chambray, and Cloud. I hope to wear this hat on my walks this winter. So far it seems nice and stretchy and light.















I knew eventually I would have too many projects again. I'm trying to cap it at five at any one time, but if I get an idea for something, I like to start it right away. I was good and made myself finish Tychus before starting Hayden, but I keep thinking about those miniature mitten ornaments and the mini raglans.

I still try to do a round or two each day on my Hourglass sweater, and later today I plan to finish up my second mitten. I must then finish the second Trekking sock. My Artisan's Vest is languishing on the shelf, but someday I will pick it up and finish it up in a marathon session.

I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving. We had a great time, and the carnivorous ones among us still enjoy eating turkey and dressing every day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home