Thursday, January 26, 2006

A Marsan watch cap, among other things


I have admired the Marsan watch cap for a long time, but I never made once since I could never figure out how only 72 stitches on size 7 needles would make a cap for an adult. I finally bit the bullet over the last couple of days and did a little math and a little research (the designer knits loosely! aha!), and I knit my own. This is a very clever pattern, and the twisted knit stitch really pops. I used Knitpicks Wool of the Andes in mist for mine, and it took just a little over one skein. I also cast on 80 stitches instead of 72 and used size 10 needles. The cap fits me snugly, but not uncomfortably so. However, I’ll put this one in the hat stash and give it away sometime.

Like many, many others, I have signed up for the Knitting Olympics. My project will be resurrecting the freshly frogged Hourglass sweater. I’ll be glad to get it back on the needles, and it will also be a great project for hours and hours of Olympics watching. I’m hoping that the fixed time for completion will help me eliminate some of those ugly lines that plagued the first version…this time it won’t sit for weeks at a time without being worked on.

Just this morning I found nonaKnit’s I-Cord Glove pattern, and I love it! Gloves are just about the only commonly knitted item that I have not yet attempted, mostly since I figured all that fiddling around with dpns in tight spaces and on small numbers of stitches would require more patience than I currently possess. However, I’m going to give this a shot…just one finger will be enough to let me know whether or not I’ll stick it out through ten! I have almost a whole skein of Lorna’s Laces Shepherd Sock, in the lakeview colorway, but I’m also thinking about the Trekking XXL; there’s a lot of it left, too, and I love the colors in that. Decisions, decisions.

2 Comments:

At 10:46 AM , Blogger Jen Hagan said...

Wow! I've been meaning to tell you that I love your caps, and then you so generously shared this glove post! How serendipitous! I have been searching for info on different glove methods, and shabam--there it comes. I just learned how this month and I love knitting gloves! Hope you enjoy it too.

 
At 1:30 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like that cap too; the lines are very bold. :) My sister is knitting caps right now for a chemo ward, but I can't remember what kind of caps they are. I can't knit, but I have donated my hair to Locks of Love, so I guess that's sort of covering someone's head.

-Erin D.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home