Saturday, September 23, 2006

Unfinished-sock-a-thon

It has gotten pretty cool here in NY, and I found myself without enough handknitted socks to keep my feet warm, so I dug out both pairs of unfinished socks I’d brought with me, and within the week I completed both pairs and now have much warmer feet!

The first pair, made of Sockotta, I had started back in May, completing one sock and occasionally knitting on the other throughout the summer (Why is it so hard to get that second sock done?) I had gotten up to the ribbing and in one sitting finished it off early in the week. Here is the completed pair. I can’t remember the colorway, and I lost the ball band; I think it was something like “fruit stripe.” They were made toe-up, with yarn-over short-row heels and toes, and 3x3 ribbing at the top.

I also started the second pair back in the spring and completed only one. I began the second one on Tuesday and finished it last night. This is a record for me; cold feet kept me motivated! The pattern is from Nancy Bush’s Knitting on the Road, and it is knitted with Kroy Socks in retro red, whitecap, and shaded spruce. If you look at the picture long enough, you can see that in the second sock I initially forgot which was color was CC1 and which was CC2 and therefore got the twisted part above the ribbing backward. I noticed it fairly early on, but decided it didn’t matter to me, and time was of the essence.

In closing, here are my festival purchases from last weekend. The yarn is a beautiful handpainted alpaca from The Alpaca Yarn Company that I got from the Golden Oak Farm booth.

The Golden Oak Farm is located in Honeoye, NY, and we drove by it while taking the scenic route home from Hemlock. They are having an open house in a couple of weeks, and we plan on driving back down if the weather is nice. It is a beautiful area--here's one last pic of a slice of Honeoye Lake.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home